Feeling the need for an adult beverage tonight — it’s been THAT kind of day. But what to have? My go-to glass of vino has recently begun to taste kind of soapy. (May need to look into organic winery options?) Guessing there’s probably been a change in my palate due to eating clean for the past 10 months. Weird. Has anyone else experienced this?
Anyway, trusty, reliable vodka to the rescue! Never one to turn my nose up at a White Russian, I decided to try and create a “cleaner” version of this popular bar drink.
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 cups unsweetened, original almond milk
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup (more or less, to taste)
- 1-2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS: Place ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Add almond milk, maple syrup, vodka, and vanilla. Secure lid and shake for 30 seconds. Serve over ice. Makes one TGIF-sized cocktail or two regular ones.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Unavailable — but a heck of a lot healthier than the original recipe!
- Surprisingly yummy! I was a bit worried the milk would curdle, but all the ingredients mixed well — and stay mixed! A great approximation of the real thing, with a much smoother finish, less guilt, and a lot fewer calories!
- Forget the cocktail shaker… use a Mason jar!
- Source: Another TDW Kitchen original
- Both photographs are courtesy of Steven Depolo