Great for when you want something fresh, hot, and fast! Fits perfectly into any toaster oven and serves exactly four people. Assemble it ahead of time and bake when you get to your destination. Gluten-free, sugar-free, and vegan-friendly!
Mini Apple Crisp
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced
- juice from 1/4 medium lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp liquid honey (substitute real maple syrup for vegans)*
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp (heaping) liquid honey (substitute real maple syrup for vegans)*
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- extra coconut oil for greasing baking dish
*Do not serve liquid honey to children under one year of age, as giving honey in any form could cause infant botulism.
INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat toaster oven (or conventional oven) to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease mini 5″ x 5″ glass or ceramic baking dish well with coconut oil.
Combine sliced apple, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and honey or maple syrup together in a mixing bowl. Press mixture into greased baking dish.
Next, to make the topping, mix flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, and honey. Cut in coconut oil as you would shortening or butter. Spoon evenly over apple mixture.
Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand and set for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- We’ve made this one more than a couple of times — when the sudden urge for dessert hits while binge watching Netflix at the weekend. Sam was surprised by the simplicity of this recipe — it goes together in a snap, with ingredients we always have on-hand.
- I bought our mini baking dish at Canadian Superstore — it’s from their President’s Choice bakeware line. If you can’t source one, double the recipe and use an 8″ x 8″ glass or ceramic baking dish instead.
- I halved the original recipe so we could bake it in a mini dish in our toaster oven.
- Source: Adapted from the full recipe by Living Pretty Naturally