Simple, but delicious. The combination of beans, peas, and lentils helps to make this a hearty and satisfying meal!
- 1 and 1/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill 13-Bean Soup Mix*
- 1 lb of extra lean ground beef (organic is best)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (suggest adding a third clove)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes with liquid (could substitute 6-8 fresh, chopped Roma tomatoes if you don’t do canned food)
- 2 tbsp. chili powder, heaping
- fresh ground salt and pepper, to taste
DIRECTIONS: Soak dry bean mix overnight. Place beans in a large container or bowl and add about a litre of water. The beans will soften overnight by absorbing most of the water.
The next day, drain any water that remains and give the plumped-up beans a quick rinse in a large colander. Then, dump them into a large soup kettle and cover with fresh water. Cover pot with lid and simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally for three hours. Do not drain when done.
Brown ground beef with onion and garlic on medium heat in a large frying pan until fully cooked. Drain off any grease. Add cooked meat, onions, and garlic to soup kettle of cooked bean mix. Add tomatoes, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined. Simmer for an additional hour. Makes 5-6 servings.
- There are other “quick” methods of making dry beans tender, but I’ve never had good results with any of those. Soaking dry beans overnight is always best in my opinion. Also, the overnight method takes a whole layer of work out of the process — while you’re sleeping!
- All told, this recipe takes about 11-13 hours from start to finish. You really do need to plan ahead.
- You can add other ingredients such as bell peppers, diced celery, mushrooms, sliced carrots, fresh spinach, or frozen corn. Add any (or all!) of these options to the tender bean mix when you add the tomatoes.
- Omit the beef for a vegetarian-friendly version — just make sure to add lots of extra veggies to make it equally hearty.
- Source: Adapted from a recipe on the Bob’s Red Mill “Pride of the Mill” 13 Bean Soup Mix* package
*Not a sponsored post: I just really like this particular bean mix! Most health food stores carry it.